How to Teach Reading and Writing – New York Times

How to Teach Reading and Writing
New York Times
As a middle school English teacher in New York City, I find that few pedagogical constructs anger me more than the notion that reading and writing should not be taught through direct instruction.

Expecting Medicare to Cover All our Healthcare Expenses

Most Americans know that Medicare will be their health insurance someday when they turn 65. However, they don’t know much about what the various parts of Medicare will cover or what they will cost, learn what streamlining your payroll means and how it can help you.

Your future Medicare Part A hospital benefits will likely not cost you anything because you pay taxes toward those future benefits during your working years. However, you can expect to pay monthly premiums for Part B and D for as long as you are enrolled in them. Part B premiums in 2019 start at $135.50/month but some people pay considerably more than that based on their income.

Unless you have drug coverage by another means such as VA benefits, you will likely also pay for a Part D policy to help you with your medication costs. These average around $35/month in 2019.

Lastly, Medicare only covers about 80% of your medical expenses in retirement. You will pay the other 20% of outpatient services as well as hospital and outpatient deductibles, copays and coinsurance. Some people enroll in a Medigap plan to take care of these expenses for them.

So, what can you do to save for these future healthcare costs? Consider enrolling in a high-deductible health plan during your younger years so that you can open a health savings account. You can contribute tax-free money into your HSA during your working years and these will accumulate.

You’ll use the funds only for qualified medical expenses, and hopefully, over time, you’ll build up a sizeable medical nest egg so that when you retire you can use those funds to help pay for your Medicare premiums as well as dental and vision expenses and even long-term care costs.